Picture

With so many weekend options including movies, concerts, theatrical shows, escape games of sorts, etc, I have spent some time thinking about why community theatre is important and the reasons people should (and do) support it. Drawing from my own experiences, I believe volunteer theatre is a valuable resource in our communities for performers, crew members, sponsors, and audience members alike.

I was barely six years old when my mom took me to audition for a production of Peter Cottontail with a local children’s group, and after being cast as the lead in my debut performance I was hooked. While I dabbled in sports and other recreational activities, I focused mainly on theatre and performing and booked my first professional production at the age of eighteen. Over the next six years I traveled the country living the dream- making a living as a performer! But something was missing, and I started to realize that there was a difference acting on stage as a job vs. a hobby. While I still loved to perform, I yearned for the heart and sense of camaraderie I had always found in community theatre.

So what made community vs. professional so different? And why is community theatre so important to me, and so many others? Here are some examples:

Encourage New Talent

Many successful actors, directors, writers, and choreographers have launched their careers in humble, small town playhouses. (Did you know Country music artist Chris Young and American Idol alum Colton Dixon both performed in Arts Center productions, just to name a few?) By sponsoring shows and attending performances, you are not only supporting an important arts outlet but also providing encouragement to the cast and crew.

Provide Opportunities for Young Artists

As I stated above, I walked into an audition as an average six year old and closed my first show feeling like a superstar! I have already written a blog focusing on why the arts are important for children (click here to read it!) so I won’t spend too much time on the subject, but I will say that I have seen theatre open up a world of new opportunities for children. While physical size and abilities sometimes hinder kids in sports and school activities, the world of community theatre provides a safe place for even the shyest or quirkiest of students. As a director, I have witnessed young children sobbing out of stage fright at their first audition who go on to steal the show, and the “outsider” who may have been rejected by his peers become the center of attention. There’s something about community theatre that accepts everyone and I treasure the wide variety of people I have met and the children I have had the opportunity to mentor.

Create a Need for Special Skills

Not everyone can stand center stage and belt out “Tomorrow” from Annie, and just as many of us don’t dare pick up a hammer and nail! Community theatre requires so many different skill sets, that virtually anyone can find a place they are needed. Your skill might be painting a backdrop, building a set piece, sewing a costume, holding a spotlight, working backstage, or even shopping for props! In one of the most recent shows I performed in, we even used an “illusionist” to teach the cast and crew magic tricks that could be used in the show! By supporting community theatre, you give your brother, mother, next door neighbor, Sunday school teacher, veterinarian, and janitor an opportunity to volunteer their time and skills.

Local Business Supports Local Business

The Arts Center, like many community theatre groups, is a non-profit organization and requires the support of local business to financially back shows and events. Sponsors not only help grow recognition of their own brand by including their logos on programs, marketing materials, websites, etc, but also keep the arts going in the community. Sponsorship isn’t expensive and community theatres can, in return, help their local business reach hundreds of potential customers through ads and sponsor recognition.

Just to name a few…

I could go on and on about reasons why everyone should support their local community theatre, but I hope you are coming up with your own ideas of how your ticket purchase, skill set, or sponsorship can benefit so many people.

Although our lives have all become very busy as of late, when you find yourself with a free Saturday night, consider attending a show put on by your local community theatre. I think you will be surprised to discover the incredible talent performing on our Middle Tennessee stages thanks to the support of patrons like YOU.

Comments

This post is display the vegetable food recipe and this is a good learning point for interesting people. People are nowadays able to withdraw money from the banks through their phones as well as taking advantage of some facilities like the ATMs.

Watch Star Trek Beyond Online

Watch The Secret Life of Pets Online

07/11/2016 2:24am

Watch Bad Moms Online

Watch The Light Between Oceans Online

07/11/2016 2:24am

Watch Sausage Party Online

Watch Star Trek Beyond Online

Watch The Purge 3 Election Year Online

Watch The Accountant Online

Watch The Magnificent Seven Online

Watch Suicide Squad Online

09/13/2016 7:53am

Who would not want anything like this in his community? You can never be too old or too young to perform on stage. It's an alternative physical activity for people who are not into sports. It's also an effective fundraiser because the community will always be excited to watch local talent. This is a very entertaining and educational post. Thank you for sharing.

04/29/2016 3:11am

I remember going to a community theatre once and it was such a fun and memorable experience. By going there, I learned a lot of things. That's where I first performed and one of the judges said that I am talented and I must never give up on my dreams. Because of that advice, I worked harder than ever and eventually won 1st place in a singing competition. People should never really stop going to community theatres because that's where you learn to never give up on your dreams, ever.

05/10/2016 8:32am

Supporting The Community Theatre is always so good for the people who like to perform at different platforms and in this way they can continue their practice. Thanks for the detailed post about these Theatre.

05/18/2016 12:44am

We just need to trust ourselves, our journeys, and what we will explore next.

05/20/2016 8:33am

I've been searching this issue the whole day, but anywhere I browsed, I didn't lucky until I found this post. So, I may thank you for this one.

05/26/2016 7:00am

Spend almost all of your time and effort writing your benefits. Entrance officials have one to two 2 minutes to learn each article usually.

05/28/2016 10:18pm

Counties exceeding 1 mil people additional jobs two times as fast since the least filled counties through 2010 via 2014. The biggest counties carried on to have a web increase of recent businesses, during your stay on island was a online decrease of online businesses in the typical low-population region.

With regard to counties these days, “size matters right now in a way that it did not in the earlier 1990s, ” said Steve Lettieri, among EIG’s co-founders. “In reality, it’s upside down. ” Which shift, stated Steve Glickman, the other co-founder, “means less and lesser people are in a position to take advantage of the healing, and the folks being left out in interests have lesser and lesser tools to obtain out of it. ”

Theoretically, this particular doesn’t need to be a problem: In case workers relocated freely and simply to follow chance, it may not issue whether they had been clustering within big towns or little towns. However economists have discovered increasing proof workers do not move just as much as they utilized to. Family maintains them grounded in place, or perhaps fear of becoming laid off from the new work, or the expense of relocating cities.

Even though they did shift, many of those employees would notice their standard of living fall, since the cost of living -- especially real estate - is really much higher inside places such as Silicon Valley as well as New York City region than nearly anywhere else. When San Francisco occupants, for example , prevent policies designed to add less expensive housing models in their town, they are not just harming their own low-income residents : they’re damaging the workers trapped in places that opportunity continues to be pushed aside.

Instagram is the famous social media cross all over the world and now its introduced the famous thing concerning with its profile viewer online instagram , the number of the user is gradually increasing and search of the query like how can i find and look the someone private profile and photo to get into the access the private profile viewer of the instagram account and , some people is need to use the private instagram account to the privacy and and securities purpose but the i am ust using to see the private instagram account to look my boyfriends private messages and and photo i am just make eye on to them to look the private profile viewer.

Wow, good YouTube video about how to install virtual directory, I totally got it. Thanks keep it up.

06/30/2016 8:40am

I'm happy to continuously update the latest information and write-ups to ensure that we do not fill when you saw this blog site.

07/06/2016 1:25am

I guess you are right. We should support them.

07/08/2016 11:10pm

Wonderful, what a blog it is! This webpage provides useful data to us, keep it up.

Thomas Dawson
07/09/2016 8:53am

Welcome to Thomas Credit Firm, I am an international business man and Lender that has offered Loans to so various individual and firms in Europe, Asia, Africa and other parts of the world. We give out our Loan for a interest rate of 2% per annul for a minimum of 100.00 to a maximum of 100,000,000.00 rubles, dollars, pounds, euros, etc. The maximum loan term we can offer is 30 Years at fixed interest rate.
Available Loans
* Personal Loans (Secure and Unsecured)
* Business Loans (Secure and Unsecured)
* Combination Loan (Secure and unsecured)
* Consolidation Loan (Secure and unsecured)
* Mortgage Loans (Secure and unsecured)

We also offer financial instrument BG / SBLC (MT 103, MT 799, MT760) to finance the project, as well as credit enhancement., as well as credit enhancement. Interested candidates should please contact us today for your online quick and easy loan without collateral deposits.

E-mail: thomascreditfirm@gmail.com

Sincerely,

07/10/2016 11:44pm

Theaters also act as avenues in making the public aware of the societal problems today. The best theater heads today are not only concerned into making money. They are one of the most social-conscious individuals today. They take pride into their profession because they feel like they are fulfilling some duty to the society. We have encourage the government to craft ways into inserting more theater shows into local communities.

07/23/2016 3:50am

You offered me some help with gratefulness UK article making through your online diaries in a way I will never forget. In a split second I can no two ways about it teach my made work and expand making class with sureness. This is the one field that I was remarkably questionable about. Appreciative to you.The fundamental of these affiliations is the recognition organization official leasing on your before with all people who are to be united into the internment organization. For instance, the religious figure, office remembrance administration home and the graveyard.

07/26/2016 12:29am

Please upload more movies related to cooking if you have, for the reason that I would like to learn more and more about all recipes of cooking.

07/26/2016 6:24am

you are in reality a excellent webmaster. The site loading pace is incredible. It seems that you're doing any unique trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterpiece. you have performed a magnificent task in this matter!Hidden

07/31/2016 4:24pm

On the off chance that you might want to discover more about composing your own announcement or school essay, go to You can likewise join to get the free College Direction month to month pamphlet.

08/04/2016 4:13am

Informative article, just what I was looking for.

What's up to all, the YouTube record that is posted at now has really asking for quality close by critical sound quality

08/10/2016 12:58am

Without request high determination tape quality consolidates much memory, that is the reason it gives you upgraded quality.

You could definitely see your skills within the work you write. The world hopes for more passionate writers such as you who aren't afraid to mention how they believe. Always go after your heart. "There are only two industries that refer to their customers as users." by Edward Tufte.

I do accept as true with all of the ideas you've introduced on your post. They are very convincing and will definitely work. Still, the posts are very quick for starters. May you please prolong them a bit from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

08/22/2016 2:57am

Thank you so much for providing individuals with remarkably brilliant chance to read in detail from this blog. It is usually very beneficial and full of a good time for me personally and my office friends to search your site the equivalent of three times in a week to learn the newest items you will have. And lastly, we're certainly pleased for the attractive tactics you serve. Selected 4 tips in this post are really the most impressive we have had.

09/22/2016 12:35am

Great article about the importance of Community theater. I must'll recommend this blog in my circle.